August 18, 2009

Riders of Darith

Riders of Darith by Nicole Spruit
 
Summary: The story is about a young noble, Tal, with a dark secret and a young girl, Rebecca who longs at a life of freedom. A war has been going on for ten years and our hero (or anti-hero) only wants to be normal. Rebecca has the world open to her and has taken a chance to carve out her own future.

Likes: I really liked Rebecca's character. I found myself skimming through Tal's point of view to get to Rebecca. Not that I don't like Tal or anything, but Rebecca's story is so much more compelling to me. Tal's story is interesting, but thankfully the author decided to put in Rebecca at certain points. The story is your standard fantasy fair with princesses, repressed barmaids, rogue nobles, and the like. I'm not really the audience for this, but I still found it enjoyable. I want more Rebecca. I also like the supporting characters as well, especially Jakob, Paulson, and Sruven.

Dislikes: It was a bit cliched and predictable, but this is only after reading half the story. It gets better towards the end. It's a little slow for me. The news about Tal's secret comes a little bit too late for me and I have yet to see the consequences and repercussions of Tal's situation presents. I can tell this aftereffects are on their way and I'm curious to see how they play out. I'm a little confused as to whether these storylines are separate from each other or whether they are going intertwine at some point and at 28 chapters, I'm still hoping their paths will cross at some point.

Overall: To be honest, I'm not sure I could read this story everyday, but the author has at least captured my interest and I will pop in every now in then to catch up. There are 28 chapters posted so far and the author has taken a hiatus. I would recommend catching up and waiting patiently until the next set of chapters is posted. I'll be updating my review accordingly.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails