December 2, 2009

NaNoWriMo: An Epic and Beautiful Fail

NaNoWriMo was an epic fail this year for me and I'm okay with that. For those who don't know (because I realize that I just assume everyone knows everything about me.), NaNoWriMo is a type of contest to see if one could write 50,000 words in 30 days. A lot of people can do it and congrats to the people who did. A lot of people can't do it and that's okay because sometimes life gets in the way and you have to set your priorities. Or sometimes the muse just doesn't show up and you're stuck writing the same chapter over and over again, trying to get it to work. I know that it was like that for me.

Something was holding me back from finishing, a bad case of writer's block or something. In my last few posts I have all these delusions of grandeur and bigger things, but I can't do anything with those dreams without having the story written. So what's preventing me from getting the story written? I don't know. Fear of failure? Fear of success? Fear of not writing again? I don't know, but what I do know is that I have to make it past it. I need to keep writing. Writing anything.

Why was this an epic fail? Because I didn't even make it 8,000 words. I'm okay with that because the beautiful part of this failure is that it sparked some evaluation and new ideas, ideas I wish I would have gotten at the beginnings on the month, but new ideas nonetheless.

One of the things I learned in NaNoWriMo is how much people push to see the things they want done get done. I also learned that it's okay to fail because you learn from your mistakes. I will use December as my own NaNoWriMo and work on several ideas that have been brewing in me since the beginning of this week.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails