April 19, 2010

The House You Pass Along the Way by Jacqueline Woodson

Date Started: April 18, 2010
Date Finished: April 18, 2010

Summary: Evangeline "Staggerlee" Canan is the biracial granddaughter of famous civil rights workers. When her cousin, Tyler a.k.a "Trout" comes to visit, she starts to feel comfortable about herself. A new girl emerges, more secure in herself, but still trying to find her identity.

Likes: I think no matter what I read, I am always going to be in love with Woodson's writing style. There is always a clarity and lyrical quality of her writing that I will always enjoy, which is partial why I got more books written by her. She writes about different characters and takes risks in her writing. This story was written in a close third person perspective, but it still had the thought and emotion as if it were a first person perspective. I enjoyed this coming of age novel.

Dislikes: I think there was too much summary, I wanted some more scenes of Trout and Staggerlee together. I think this story ended too soon and a little too neatly, almost similar to the way "If You Come Softly" ended. However, I don't think this book has a sequel. I wish we would have gotten a little bit more of how Staggerlee dealt with her emotions in the end.

Overall: I'm in love with Woodson's writing style. She could write about a sandal and I'd still read it. I enjoyed this story. It was a quick read and I'm probably not in the write age group to love the subject matter (it's more of a been there done that type of thing, as with a lot of YA), but stylistically I loved it.


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails