July 18, 2010

Donorboy by Brendan Halpin

Date Started: July 16
Date Finished: July 17

Summary: Rosalind's two mothers died in a freak car accident and now she has been taken in by her donor, the man who technically who is her father, but has never been in her life for the past 14 years. Rosalind starts acting out and trying to deal with her grief while her clueless dad tries to guide her along.


Likes: I thought that the premise seems interesting, that's one reason why I picked it up. A girl who was raised by two mothers now has to live with a man who doesn't even have a girlfriend. The two mothers added an interesting dynamic that wouldn't have been the same if it had been a heterosexual couple. The premise didn't disappoint. I thought the format choices were interesting as well. At first I didn't think it would work as a series of recordings, journal entries, e-mails, and IMs, but I was actually entertained by it. I think it really worked in favor of the story, which sometimes isn't the case. It was short and sweet, a quick light read.

Dislikes: The writing seems like it's trying too hard to be a teenager. Majority of the time it comes off as authentic, but there are points where it was way too much slang and jargon that it loses some credibility. I wish there were dates on the journal entries because I wasn't entirely sure how much time passed over the course of the novel. I was aware that it ended on Christmas. The story seems unfinished, as if its a start to something new.

Overall: It was an entertaining read. Cute, heartwarming, and light.

Recommended by: Another cover that caught my attention at the library. It was the spine that caught my attention with the words looking like a label machine. It jumped out at me from the paperback rack. The title sounded interesting, so I read the blurb. The cover itself is not that special and doesn't have much to do with the story itself(in fact I didn't really look at the cover until I started to read the book) but the blurb and the title won me over.

Acquired: Library.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails