September 28, 2010

Life Update #1

I think I'm going to do these Life Updates whenever there is a lag in updates on my blog. It'll give you an idea of how crazy things are on my side of the world.

School:
So some of you may or may not know that I'm a double major. A quarter before graduation, I decided to pursue my dream and add Creative Writing as my second major. At any rate, this quarter I have four classes, three days a week.

Anatomy of Fictional Styles: Basically what we're going to do in this class is analyze different genres and styles of fiction. It seems pretty interesting. The teacher is a bit of a spaz, but what creative writing person isn't? This class is on Monday 2-5.

Intro to Playwriting: We're going to learn to write plays. I want to adapt one of my old stories into a play. I feel this might help me with action and dialogue. I'll be sure to share what I learn with you guys in case you want to learn these things too. This class is on Tuesdays and Thursdays 10-12.

Metafiction: This seems like the heaviest class with a book list of 10. So far what we have been doing is interesting. The teacher is cool and all. What we'll be doing in this class is surveying metafiction which is a type of fiction that is aware of itself. It's like when cartoon characters or tv characters break the fourth wall and address the audience. However this is a book that is aware that it's a book. I hope that makes sense and if it doesn't I hope during the course of a couple days I'll learn what it actually means. This class is Tuesdays and Thursdays 2-3:30.

Survey of Contemporary Fiction: Is a survey of contemporary fiction with all the authors being within this decade. We're also reading the teacher's book, which is going to be strange. I never had to read a teacher's book. I've read books of people who taught at the school, but they were never my teachers. This should be interesting. I do like this teacher, he's cool. He reminds me of Spike from Cowboy Bebop, but that's besides the point. This class is Tuesdays and Thursdays at 3:40-5:00.

I have work on Wednesdays for one hour and I will probably schedule some hours for my internship. I have Fridays off, so the weekend for me starts on Thursday. At any rate, I do want to do some more things with my blog, but I'm not sure if I'll have the time. I have to do schoolwork first, which is mostly reading. The books we've been reading have been pretty cool so far, that's not too bad, but it's a lot of reading. I don't think I'll have the time to read much for leisure and if I do, it'll probably be a long time between books. I hope to read for leisure on the weekends.

My goal is at least one book a week in addition to the books that I read for school. For the academic books, I think I'll include a section in the reviews that analyze what you can learn from this book from a few of my favorite passages. I might do this for the leisure books too, but maybe if I feel there is actually something to learn and imitate.


I will most likely update on Monday/Wednesday/Friday with book reviews on Saturdays or when I finish them, which ever comes first. I don't think I have the energy to do the Blog Hop for a while. Not that it's all that hard, but I like looking at other blogs and things and I feel that I haven't been doing that actively in the last couple hops (sorry. =/) .

So what would you like to see? If you're starting school, what classes are you taking? 







post signature

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails