September 3, 2009

Coraline by Neil Gaiman

Coraline by Neil Gaiman
Date Started: September 3, 2009
Date Finished: September 3, 2009

Summary: Coraline Jones has moved into a new house with her inattentive parents. She is surrounded by strange neighbors, like Miss Spink and Miss Forcible, who used to be actresses and a crazy old man who is trying to start a mouse circus. While Coraline is out exploring, she comes across a door that leads to another world, the Other world, where she has an Other Mother, and an Other Father. They state that they love her, but Coraline knows better. Coraline uses her wits and the help of a black cat to save the day and free her parents and the others trapped by Other Mother.

Likes: I'll admit that I cheated on this one because I knew I could read it in a day. I also read it so that I can eventually watch the movie. That being said, I did enjoy the book. As an upcoming adult, reading it gives me a sense of nostalgia, longing for the days where you can just explore and get into trouble. The story is reminscent of Alice in Wonderland with Gaiman's dark undertones. I enjoy that Gaiman doesn't skimp on details even though it's a book for kids. He puts in just enough information to get the adrenaline running (if you're a kid, if you're an adult it's more like a nostalgic feeling), but not enough to gross you out. It's an enjoyable book for people at any age.

Dislikes: It's a kid's book. I enjoyed it, but I'm reading it through a different lens than I would have if I had been younger, like in elementary. I enjoyed it though, even though it's a little scary for kids. If I had kids, it's something that I'd encourage them to read, or rather, I wouldn't mind telling them that I had read it and would like to know what they think of it.

Overall: I enjoyed this book, but obviously it's not in my age group. The book just shows that Gaiman is a good writer who can write stories that everyone at any age can enjoy.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails