September 13, 2009

Mill Ave. Vexations

Mill Avenue Vexations by Kyt Dotson

Summary:  Vex Harrow is a taxi cab driver in Arizona and Mill Avenue is her domain. She deals with the strange mysteries of the occult. 

Likes: The premise is interesting. The dialogue is wonderful, it was one of my favorite parts of reading the story. The description of the city was nice and it made me feel like I was a part of the area with all it's local charm. Following the different characters made it a lot more interesting and readable opposed to just sticking with one of the other characters. I want more of the dialogue and more of the characters. I wish I could get more of this, but at the expensive of what? I'd rather take more characters and dialogue opposed to the vivid description of the area. I'd like to get more of everything without losing anything.

Dislikes: I tried to read this story on several separate occasions and for some reason I wasn't able to get very far. I found myself skimming a lot to get to some hints of dialogue or plot but it was almost too slow to get into. It's not exactly a boring story, but the build up takes too long to get to. On the internet, you can't exactly have a boring opening because there are a lot of other things that readers could be doing.

Overall: The premise sounds interesting. A taxi cab driver dealing with the occult, sounds like fun. It takes a bit too long to get to the fun and I find myself skimming until I find something, latch on and continue reading from there. I'm only on Volume 4 and there are at least 12 volumes at this moment. I hope to continue reading, because the premise does sound interesting, even if the writing, although solid, lacks emotion or drive.

Cross-posted from efiction Book Club

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails