September 20, 2009

Eyeleash

Eyeleash by Jess C. Scott


Summary: Jade is a sexually repressed girl who goes to a catholic school. She meets up with her old love, the hot Novan, who used to be a geeky nerd that sounded like a duck. Novan is now in a band and Jade is in love with him. She wonders whether if she can give her heart without giving up her body.

Likes: I liked the idea of the blog. It's a different way of presenting the story and for the most part I think it works for the type of story told. I liked Jade and Novan at first, but as the story is progresses Jade starts to get a little more superficial than she thinks she is. I like the idea of having an unreliable narrator and .

Dislikes: I think I would like this better if it was set up  like a regular blog of a fictional person like on blogger or wordpress. I think parts of the story tried to hard to be like the modern teenager. Most teenagers don't talk with all kinds of little quips and sayings, not all the time. Teenagers talk like normal people. I didn't really get a feeling of the characters. Since we get the story through Jade's eyes, it's really hard to like her. She's not a particularly likable character and it's kind of  annoying to read in her point of view. I think there should have been a objective narrator telling the course of the story and reading things between Novan and Jade and Jade's blog would be easier to read with those breaks.

Overall: It's not really my type of story or maybe it was the format. I think it would be more interesting to read as a fictional blog with it's own blog setup for it and pictures and everything. It's a little bland to read in a book format. It reminds me a bit of Twilight, but I'm not sure whether that's good or not considering that I'm not exactly in the target audience either. It's okay, but it's not really my cup of tea.

cross posted on the e-Fiction Book Club

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails