March 24, 2010

The Second Summer of the Sisterhood by Ann Brashares

Date Started: March 16
Date Finished: March 19

Summary: Carmen, Tibby, Lena, and Bridget have been friends since before birth. Now during their first summer apart, they find a magical pair of pants that fit them all perfectly. They pass the pants around and chronicle their lives while they are apart.

Likes: This is a cute story. I know I would have loved this series if I had continued reading it in high school. At this point in time, I only like it, not love it.  There are parts in the story where I can relate with the girls and their struggle to continue their friendship. I like to analyze which character I am and which characters my friends are. It's interesting to see the pants travel around to the different girls. I don't believe the pants are magical, but after a while they play a backseat to the girls lives. Sometimes I forget that the pants are a integral player in this story, which for me, is actually okay. The story is not about the pants and the girls aren't always wearing the pants when things happen to them and sometimes it's not always good things that happen to them when they wear the pants.

Dislikes: It seems like most of the girls get their validation from guys. It's a little bit annoying, but I suppose it is realistic. The head hoping gets a little annoying at times because there's no structure to it. I don't remember what happened in this book too much, it sort of bleeds into the others.

Overall: I started reading this series in high school and I never got around to finishing it. I probably would have loved this series if I had continued reading it in high school. I enjoy reading them now, but it's for nostalgic reason and really nothing more. I'm curious to read the fourth one after the girls have their first year in college to see if their experiences are similar to the struggles that my friends and I had after trying to reconnect. I wish someone would write a story similar to this about college students...I guess I have to be the one to do it. Lol.

Note: I read the first book of this series back in either 10th or 11th grade before I knew what a blog was and before I started keeping a record of the books that I read. 

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails