March 24, 2010

Girls in Pants: The Third Summer of the Sisterhood by Ann Brashares

Date Started: March 20
Date Finished: March 24

Summary: Carmen, Tibby, Lena, and Bridget have been friends since before birth. Now during their first summer apart, they find a magical pair of pants that fit them all perfectly. They pass the pants around and chronicle their lives while they are apart.

Likes: I like the different events that happen in the story. Bridget is reunited with Eric and they both own up to what happened between them in the first book. Tibby starts to get cozy with Brian, the dork from the first book. Carmen finds a man at the hospital and Lena starts to get over her heartbreak with Kostos and learns to stand up for herself. The characters are growing up and maturing. This book seems like the outcome of the events that happened the summer before. The girls are a lot stronger than they were in the first two books in the series.

Dislikes: I didn't really like this book as much as I did the first because their wasn't as much tension. On the flip side of their maturity, things seem to coast pretty smoothly for the girls in this book because they are a lot wiser. This book felt like it was building up to something bigger, like their college years which is something I'm looking forward to. I wish that the story would talk a little bit more about their lives at school instead of just their summers. Some of the plot points where wrapped up too neatly and I feel like this was the weakest book of the series.

Overall: I'm really looking forward to the last book because it is a bit more relevant to me now that the girls are starting college. I can finally relate to them a bit more than I could in the other books. Now that I'm a little older, I can see the progression of their maturity, which might have been something I would not have noticed if I had finished this series in high school. I can look back at these books with a certain amount of clarity now that I've gone through some of the same events. I need to take a break from the last book in the series because the stories are all starting to bleed together.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails