December 5, 2010

Busting the Newbie Blues Blogfest


I have been blogging for a while now, so I suppose I would say that I'm somewhat established, but then again, I have not set schedule and have been too busy to read. That being said, I want to try to get better at blogging because it's fun.

At Small Review, there is an Event being hosted called "Busting the Newbie Blues" which helps established bloggers and newbie bloggers connect and have fun with each other. It runs from Dec 3 to Dec 31, so jump on board and meet some new book blogger.


I chose the questions for the established bloggers, but they are generally the same thing for both newer bloggers too. I've been blogging for a long time, even though I just got serious this past year or so. At any rate, here are the questions and my answers.
  1.  When did you start your blog?
    I started a blog just keeping track of the books I read, but it wasn't a "book blog" until about last year and perhaps this year, even more so with giveaways and such.
  2. Why did you start your blog?
    I started my blog because my friends were passing books back and forth and keeping a journal about it. Since I don't want to pay for postage and the person I would pass books back and forth with has the same taste as mine, it wouldn't make sense to do. I kept forgetting what books I read
  3. What has been the biggest challenge you’ve faced so far? Did you make any mistakes new bloggers can learn from?
    I guess my biggest challenge is to find the time to blog. I work several jobs, go to school, and have several volunteer and internships that I do and then I need to find the time to do homework, study, read the actual books that I want to review, and then find the time to review them on the blog. The biggest mistake that I've made is not having a consistent update schedule.
  4. What did you find most discouraging about being a new blogger? How did you deal with this?
    The thing I find a bit of a downer is working hard on a post and getting no response. This doesn't happen as often now because the stats show that people are reading and if there are anything like me, they just read, but have nothing to say at that point in time. I've learned, especially from my web fiction writing days, comments aren't everything. Just keep writing and the people will come.
  5. What do you find most encouraging?
    Having a meaningful conversation with other bloggers either on my blog or on other blogs. I think it's awesome to discuss a book that we've liked.
  6. What do you like best about the blogs you read? Have you tried to replicate this in your blog?
    I like blogs that have people who engage with their commenters. I know that some blogs get so much traffic that they can't engage with everyone, but it's clear that they do make the effort to do so. I would like to guess that they've always done this whether they had a lot of followers or not. I like some special blog designs as well that are really unique and pretty.
  7. What do you dislike about blogs you’ve read? Do you try to avoid this?
    I dislike blogs that have too many buttons and banners and little widgets. They take a really long time to load and they are kind of annoying, especially if they play music. If they have good content, I'll suffer through it but honestly, there's nothing like having a simple, clean, and pretty template design.
  8. Do you have any advice for new bloggers?
    Blog about what makes you happy and don't stress yourself out trying to get posts up when you have a schedule. If you have a scheduled post feature, use it. Most of all just have fun.
  9. How did you bring your blog to the attention of so many people?
    Marketing via giveaways, blog hops, and blogfests. That being said, I think the greatest thing that has helped me is trying to develop relationships with other bloggers. When I do a blog hop, I really try to read a few posts of people that week and try to be consistent. I do follow a lot of blogs because of these blog hops and it takes a lot of effort to keep track of them all. If a blog has an interesting post, I'll read it and I probably need to be better at leaving comments.
  10. Is there anything else you’d like to share about your experience?
    Looking forward to meeting some new bloggers. 


post signature

4 comments:

Small Review said...

Thank you for participating!

Wow, you really are busy! I have trouble finding time to blog and I'm not doing half the things you do! Good on you for keeping up with it.

I agree completely about bloggers who interact with the people who leave comments. I feel so much more connected to the blog and it seems like the blogger cares a lot more.

Thanks again :) I had fun reading your responses!

Anonymous said...

That's a really nice blogfest! I hadn't heard of it. I checked but it seems primarily for YA and that's not a group I count myself in, but have fun yourself and I hope you get something out of it.

Tell me about no time for blogging! I don't work but even so I feel like I never have time OR do nothing but. :-)

Aylee said...

Hiya! I'm only just now going from blog to blog checking out each blog signed up for this event. Glad to have found your blog!
Aiiee! You sound super busy! Good for you that you find time to blog occasionally even with everything else you've got going on in your life.

T.B. said...

I agree finding the time is the hardest for me too. There is always so much going on also, and blogging is only one part of my life. However, I love it and the community welcomes everyone! Events like Busting The Newbie Blues really help!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails